Wednesday, January 3, 2018

WINE WEDNESDAY - Increase Your Wine Know-How!

Hi friends!  So, I am lazy yet again and haven’t done an in depth tasting (though I had a grand old time trying out some new wines with some of you just last night).  Peyton, I have now tasted the Carmenere but I have not written anything about it yet…I swear I haven’t forgotten!  Anyways, I am finding I don’t have enough time for an in-depth weekly wine blog, so I will be cutting back in the new year.  I think the plan will be at least 2 posts a month AND I’ll be branching out from just reviewing wines and throw in some other fun stuff TBD.

In the meantime, here are some great wine resources from which you will learn tons more than you ever would just listening to me:

This is a series of educational videos on wine with emphasis on wine-making.  This guy was most recently the wine-maker for Monticello Wine Co. in Charlottesville.  My sister knows him in real life, so she can confirm he is cool.  Link

The plaid avenger is the guy who got me into wine with his “Geography of Wine’ course at VT.  He’s easy to listen to and has a ton of stuff on his YouTube channel.  He probably has a video lecture on anything you are interested in learning about.  He also has great geography and world politics lectures.  Sift through the playlists here.

Kevin Zraly’s “Windows on the World Complete Wine Course” is an amazing crash course book/real life class from the ground up for all things wine.  Plus, the book has tons of maps and neat-o pictures to look at.  This is the version I have, there may be a more recent one coming soon or out already: pic

A great quick reference website for most of your quick-fire questions is Wine Folly.

Get the “Vivino” app.  If you have used “Untappd” for beer, this is very similar.  The greatest feature is the picture search.  You can take a picture of the wine label and it gives you app users’ reviews, ratings, and general info on the wine (including average price).  Even more impressive is you can take a picture of a restaurant’s wine list and it overlays your pic with users’ ratings next to each wine on the list!  Now you can find out how much money the restaurant is swindling from you!  Find me (I’m connected through Facebook) on the app to follow my ratings and so I can follow you!

I have made an in-depth “Tasting Notes” doc so you can review wines like a pro.  It is basically a rip-off of Zraly’s tasting notes from his course.  I have changed some things and made it printable.  Feel free to download from drive and use for your next tasting!  Let me know if it is missing something.  Drive Link

I found this amazing wine-pairings chart.  DON’T TREAT THIS AS GOSPEL! TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE!  However, it is a great starting point.  Drive Link

Lastly, support Chris and get Star Wars streamed for hospital-bound kids!  #StreamStarWars

No comments:

Post a Comment