Saturday, February 4, 2017

Featured Tasting! Crane Lake Gewürtztraminer 2015

This is the featured tasting of the week though I didn't buy it!  Allow me to explain.  This week I picked my wine as it would pair with a dinner more than just for sipping otherwise I would be all over this wine. A fantastically unique dessert wine of which this was my first experience.  In all honesty all the wines this week were exceptional and I would've gladly purchased all 5 if I had reason to.

Name: Crane Lake Gewürtztraminer
Variety: Gewürtztraminer
Region: California
Country: USA
Vintage: 2015
Price: $5.95

Bonus Background: Gewürtztraminer is traditionally from regions of Germany, Alsace and northern Italy with great variety between those versions.  Gewürtz is the German word for "spicy" which is what characterizes this unique white and is the common denominator between all versions because it comes from the grape. The pink grape hails from Germany though can be found all over the greater Alps region of Europe.  It can be sweet (traditionally German version) and it can be dry (typically Alsace) but all tend to have a distinct lychee aroma and flavor.  This means it is a dessert wine or a white wine with all the perks of both. Depending on your particular version this wine usually goes well with exotic spicy foods like Indian and south-east Asian cuisine.

Winery Review: This floral wine has notes of rose, peach, and apricot, with a smooth, lingering finish. This wine pairs well with both smoked Gouda and Munster cheeses. Also try it along with roast pork, turkey, red snapper or sautéed abalone.

My Review: Yum yum yum. Besides the fact that I love German beverages in general (especially southern German beer), I am probably only slightly biased in liking this as much as I do.  I understand that it is not from Germany but the fact that Gewürtztraminer has such variety in the old world should mean Californian versions should be welcomed with open arms.  The color is light gold with a hint of rose and the smell is equally sweet and spicy.  I couldn't detect the lychee though I could not recall the taste of one during the tasting anyways.  A decent body in this one which came with less sugar than a typical dessert wine.  The spice comes as second only to the initial sugar and comes in the form of a cinnamony-nutmeg flavor.  The fact that Gewürtztraminer is such a different wine made it my favorite of the day.  As everyone says you either love or hate Gewürtztraminer, so I am glad that I tasted this wine first before being surprised for a full bottle, and that is my recommendation.  Now I know I can move up the shelf to try a true German or Alsace Gewürtztraminer and that I will enjoy the purchase.

Tasted without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment