Saturday, February 11, 2017

Featured Tasting! Fox Creek Shiraz 2012

I did not buy this wine though I know I will in the future.  It was my first Australian Shiraz and I was blown away.  In general I have only really wanted to buy the white wines after tasting, but I have finally found a comfort red style that I know I'd like more of.  Preliminary research says that more recent vintages may be even better.

Name: Fox Creek
Variety: Shiraz
Region: McLaren Vale
Country: Australia
Vintage: 2012
Price: $23 Sale $9.95

Bonus Background: McLaren Vale is the jewel of South Australia's Fleurieu Zone.  South Australia itself produces the majority of Australia's wine.  Most vineyards are located in decent proximity to the major city of Adelaide.  South Australia has a large variety of soil and the climate necessary to support the growth of many different grape varieties.  The most common, however, is Shiraz--genetically identical to the originally french Syrah grape.  Australia has made this grape their own and it has thrived, taking on hints of local flora.  It has been so successful that it may be just as famous or even more famous than any old world version of Syrah.

Winery Review: 91 Points - Steven Tanzer
Bright purple. Exotic, expansive aromas of black and blue fruit preserves, vanilla and cola, along with a peppery overtone and a hint of violet pastille. Broad, fleshy, appealingly sweet boysenberry and cherry liqueur flavors show excellent depth and a seamless texture. Finishes juicy and long, with building spiciness, an echo of blue fruit and round tannins.

My Review: This Shiraz was exceptional and gave me an appreciation for different tannic qualities.  A deep red (almost black) to the eye for which bubbles have a golden hue.  The nose focuses on dark, warm, and smooth berries. Big but smooth is a recurring theme. A slight oakiness comes out in the taste with black cherry sweeping in. This wine's real high point comes after swallowing, where it balances incredibly well with high tannins and full body.  After a minute or so, vanilla finds its way to your taste buds and it changes the tannins to creamy smooth and wets the palette.  An incredible wine and the best I've tasted thus far in my short history. If this wine is on sale then buy it; if it is listed for regular price I would probably still recommend.


Tasted without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment